Hi Everyone
I hope that all is well with everyone and life is being kind.
Life has been busy here with Mum and other things this last week, but yesterday was a day I really thought I would never get to experience again.
It was the day I got to give my Mum another birthday card. Not that she was capable of opening it or understanding what the day was all about. In fact I doubt she even knew I had spent time with her .. .. .. but I know I did .. .. .. and in years to come I know I would give anything just to be in her presence and hold her hand whether she was responding or not.
She is now a whole 96 but dementia has left her with a life that most would say isn't really a life. She is bedridden now and struggles to hold her head up. But on really rare occasions we still get a glimmer of our old Mum and that really warms your heart.
Yesterday she was definitely in no rush to celebrate her birthday and was spark out until late into the afternoon, despite all the comings and goings and the care staff singing happy birthday as they tried to rouse her. She was washed and changed without even waking!!!
But late afternoon while my sister was with her she finally woke up and her cards were opened (by my sister) and the home had baked her a birthday cake. Lots of staff and a couple of fellow residents came into her room. Thankfully there weren't 96 candles to contend with .. .. .. just one.
So this is the card I was so very happy to be able to give to my Mum:
But late afternoon while my sister was with her she finally woke up and her cards were opened (by my sister) and the home had baked her a birthday cake. Lots of staff and a couple of fellow residents came into her room. Thankfully there weren't 96 candles to contend with .. .. .. just one.
So this is the card I was so very happy to be able to give to my Mum:
This used:
Watercolour Floral Alphabet Clipart "TaPilipaAU" via Etsy (this came with a bonus frame that I altered to form the two floral lines)
Backing Paper: Pink Petticoat (sadly no longer trading)
Snippet of Gingham Ribbon
Metallic Gold Card
Tiny diamond gems
Corner Rounding Punch
My Trusty Sewing Machine
These are the snippets I began with .. .. ..
Backing Paper: Pink Petticoat (sadly no longer trading)
Snippet of Gingham Ribbon
Metallic Gold Card
Tiny diamond gems
Corner Rounding Punch
My Trusty Sewing Machine
These are the snippets I began with .. .. ..
The card and paper I used all started out life as A4 sheets but these were snippets I was left with following previous creations so I am taking my card over to the Snippets Playground Challenge where we are encouraged to use our leftovers (not just card and paper .. .. wool, fabric, ribbon, leftover wrapping paper, old envelopes .. .. the list is endless.


4 comments:
That’s a gorgeous card for your Mum Jules. So lovely that you were able to give her another birthday card, and that she had cake and was sung Happy Birthday to.
Thanks for coming to play in the Snippets Playground. See you in the treehouse later. xxx
You write so beautifully, and care for your mum so deeply, she must be a very special lady. A beautiful card, and you used up some snippets too! xxx
A beautiful card and a really heart-warming post. How thoughtful of the care staff to celebrate your Mum's birthday and that you and your sister could spend time with her. Wonderful memories for you to hold on to. Hugs x
Hi Jules, my lovely friend. I've just got back into Blogging after 6 years and thought I'd see who was still around and imagine my joy when I found you. What a beautiful post. I got tingles reading it. What a special thing to be able to make and give your Mum a card. The care staff sound wondeful and the memoroes of these days will stay with you, believe me. I can't make my own Mum a card anymore but I still enjoy making one for my MIL and always spend time thinking about just what she'd like. They are the most special people in our lives. Take care and look afte yourself. Hugs Lisa x
Post a Comment