My photo
A very warm welcome to my teeny, tiny part of the huge world of blogging. This is where I share my passion for making hand made greeting cards. So - why "Always with a Heart"? Well this is for two reasons. Firstly, it is because every card I produce carries a heart on it somewhere. This can be big and bold or small and almost hidden - the fun sometimes is just trying to find it! Secondly it is because I put my heart into everything I produce. I hope that any visitors enjoy seeing what I post. If you drop by then please leave me a comment so that I know you called. It would be nice to know that you have found my heart in what I do.

Friday 4 August 2017

DAYS UNTIL .. ..

Hi Everyone

Happy Friday .. .. ahead of what I hope is going to be a lovely weekend for us all!

Today I thought you might like to see something I have put together for giving my niece when I see her this evening.  

She gets married in a few weeks time .. .. and I thought she might like to stick this to the front of her fridge to help with the exciting "countdown".


Quite a few people have asked me if I would consider doing tutorials or videos of how I make some of my projects.  

I am sorry but as much as I am sure I would enjoy doing it, I don't feel video creating will ever feature in my crafting life .. .. there isn't enough spare time in my life to do all of that editing etc.  It seems difficult enough sometimes to just get something posted here on my blog .. .. but perhaps the next best thing might be a series of photographs .. .. so I will explain how I have made my plaque with the help of some pictures.  If you feel this is interesting / helpful in any way then let me know and I can consider doing this type of thing a little more often .. .. but sadly no videos :-(

So here we go with the process

I started out by using my Craft Artist 2 programme to decorate a rectangle using a variety of downloads and colours and then added my words using font Sweetheart Script (how appropriate LOL!!).



This was then printed onto heavy duty smooth card, stuck to mountboard and then cut to size using my trustyFiskars ProCision Paper Trimmer .. .. .. .. this is something that has been in my arsenal for a couple of years now and I really don't know how I would cope without it now.  Anything that can cut mountboard as well as it cuts photocopy paper has to be a winner in my book .. . and no blades or cutting strips to replace either .. .. bonus!  Great for large 12 x 12 papers but it will also fold in half when working on smaller jobs.


Next thick twine is tied through the hole in a wooden chalkboard heart, the hole is then topped with a twine bow and the other end is tied around a piece of chalk.  Add one part of a strong magnet to the twine on the chalk and the second half of the magnet to the plaque front.  


Gems are stuck to the flowers in the top right hand corner to finish the front.


Four crafting magnets on the back will stick the plaque to a fridge front .. .. but alternatively you could cut two holes in the top and thread ribbon or twine through to hang it up.

So just a little wrapping job from me now and today's project is all ready for giving away tonight .. .. just leaving my niece with the job of counting up the days for writing on the heart.

Of course something like this could be counting down to anything .. .. .. Christmas, a holiday, a special birthday .. .. in fact anything you want to add some extra excitement too .. .. but for our family it will be the countdown to a very special day that we are all looking forward to very, very much.

Oh .. .. and before you ask .. .. yes I have been on stationery duty for her and so far I have done save the dates, day and evening invitations. This just leaves the venue stationery which will go into production in a few weeks.

So that is me for today.  I can't actually lay claim for inventing this type of plaque .. .. I have been making them for a while based on one I saw in a shop window in York where they were selling ones that said .. .. .. Days until Santa comes!   Oooo... now there's a scary thought.  How many days is it now!!! LOL!!!

I'll catch you again soon .. .. have a lovely weekend.


16 comments:

Carole said...

Fabulous Jules! the project...but you of course too....it's a really original idea and I am sure your niece will love it along with all her other stationary. That cutter looks a mean piece of equipment...I have invested in a Cutterpillar Crop and wouldn't be without that...no blades to change but I am not sure about it cutting mountboard though. I hope you have a wonderful day at the wedding in a few weeks time and that the weather is kind to her. I can follow your photos fine ...no prob. You must have several pairs of hands...i can't even get one card made!!! Have a nice weekend. Hugs....will e-mail you soon xx

Sylvia said...

Beautiful card,Jules.Love the colours.Enjoy your weekend.

Gr,Sylvia x

cuilliesocks said...

It's beautiful Jules and it will be loved what a wonderful idea. Beautifully designed,
Thanks for sharing the how to instructions, Kate x

Enny said...

Wow, Jules, this is really a beautiful idea, and your niece will be very happy ! Thanks very much for the explanation and photo's, much appreciated ! I absolutely understand, that you have no time for video's, but with the photo's, it's easy to follow. Have a nice weekend ! Hugs, Enny

Unknown said...

This is wonderful Jules, I bet she will love it ! I have been making something similar 'Flab to Fab' ones for the slimming group with the hearts so they can write their progress on they are very popular.
I could do with a Santa one myself because my progress towards THAT time of year is non existent Lol
Hugs Kaz xxx

Barb said...

What a super gift Jules. I bet she's very proud of her clever aunt! Have a great weekend. Barbxx

cotnob said...

A beautiful gift Jules, your niece will love counting down the days with this.
How nice to see your creative process, I'm just going to check out that trimmer - I definitely need one of those.
Have a lovely weekend.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

What a fantastic gift to give the happy couple, I'm sure that she will love it. Thank you for including a tutorial too.

Sue xx

Kathleen said...

Lovely idea and a gorgeous subtle background which really makes the black stand out.

Kath x

Carol S. said...

A great idea and a lovely gift. Hugs, Carol S.xx

Liz said...

What a brilliant project! Very clever idea, I'm sure your niece was thrilled to receive it. x

Gibmiss said...

This is fabulous Jules... great tutorial...
Love it
Hugs Sylvie xxx

Brenda said...

What a fun project Jules!! And I bet your niece will love it too. I have heard that videos are time consuming so don't blame you about doing videos. Your picture tutorial is great! Hugs, Brenda

Sarah said...

What a wonderful gift to give in the run up to an exciting event. Really wonderful xx

Brawny x said...

Well I just love this Jules. A fabulous creation...a lovely idea x

Unknown said...

That's so beautiful Jules x