My photo
A very warm welcome to my teeny, tiny part of the huge world of blogging. This is where I share my passion for making hand made greeting cards. So - why "Always with a Heart"? Well this is for two reasons. Firstly, it is because every card I produce carries a heart on it somewhere. This can be big and bold or small and almost hidden - the fun sometimes is just trying to find it! Secondly it is because I put my heart into everything I produce. I hope that any visitors enjoy seeing what I post. If you drop by then please leave me a comment so that I know you called. It would be nice to know that you have found my heart in what I do.

Friday 29 April 2016

HAPPY FRIDAY

Hi Everyone

Happy Friday ... ahead of what I hope is going to be a good Bank Holiday weekend for us all.

Mine is going to be pretty full on work wise . .. but I shall enjoy it as it is all crafty work and happy couples .. .. I have pretty much got  all of the boring housework sorted:-)

Plus I shall have the added bonus of Mr Heart being around for an extra day.

Today's share is another wedding anniversary card




This used:

Image:  Kaisercraft Clear Stamps "CS246" Treasured Moments (for the butterflies)
Sentiment:  Penny Black Clear Stamps "30-176" Sentimental
Backing Papers:  Dovecraft "Sweet Paris"
Nestabilities:  Squares
Josy Rose:  Nail Heads
Silver Embossing Powder
X-Cut Heart Punch
My Trust Sewing Machine

I was up with the lark today and have got lots done already, including getting all of the boring ironing out of the way .... and whilst ironing a new top that Mr Heart has just bought, I was taken in just a split second down memory lane because when I put it on the hanger and fastened the top button I was surprised to find that the buttons were made of rubber .. ... just like I used to have on my "liberty bodices" when I was a little girl.

Does anyone else remember those or am I really showing my age now?

For you young spring chickens out there .. .. they used to look like this and you would wear them over your vest in winter.


At the start of winter they would be lovely and thick and super warm but by the end of winter they would be much thinner, and all the lovely soft fleece type lining would be matted and flattened.  All of those buttons down the front were made of rubber and I used to love them. They would squish in your fingers and feel so different to the plastic buttons of today.

It might seem a weird thing to wear .. .. but you have to remember there was no central heating in those days so you needed lots of layers .. .. plus of course that lovely roaring coal fire! I bet that is why families of the past spent more time together.  If you wanted to be warm there was only one place to be .. .. next to the fire with the rest of your family.

Isn't it funny how your brain works and how just touching a button can bring back so many happy memories.

The sad thing is I got this image off a museum website .. .. today I feel quite old LOL!

Have a good day everyone and a great Bank Holiday weekend.

Love

21 comments:

Sarah said...

Love this pretty card Jules, the butterflies look ready to take flight. As for the "rubber" thing...just a bit weird!! Seriously, I DO remember rubber buttons. As a little girl I remember watching my Mum get ready to go out and her fastening the buttons on the suspender part of her panty girdle, it was apricot satin and, I thought, very glamorous!! Have a lovely weekend xx

Kath said...

A beautiful card Jules - pretty colours and a great design too.
Yes, I used to wear a liberty bodice too - the rubber buttons were so they didn't break when it was put through the mangle. Now I'm really sounding old!
Enjoy your weekend.
Kath x

Stamps and Paper said...

Very pretty anniversary card Jules...oh those liberty bodices I remember them well the feel of the rubber button and the softness of the inside and in fact I still have some of those buttons in my mothers old button box..... the liberty bocie certainly kept us warm as we had no central heating just a small coal fire in our sitting room...I also remember ice of the INSIDE on my bedroom window..lovely memories

Have a lovely weekend

Anne

Carole said...

Hello you old thing!! lol.....I am sure you dreamt all this liberty bodice stuff really!! Your card is so pretty and a change from the usual sort of anniversary cards...love your butterflies. Have a lovely long weekend. xx

cuilliesocks said...

Oh I remember them well Jules, and the memory has taken me back to the haberdashers shop in Kirkintilloch where I live as a child, where my mum bought them, along with the horrible navy blue knickers for school. I tell you what a liberty bodice would be good just now, it's perishing up here.

Anyway to your card.... absolutely gorgeous, so romantic and gorgeous papers, I love the design, have a great weekend, Kate x

Patricia said...

Hello Jules from a very Snowy North East Scotland.
Love, love, love, your wonderful Anniversary Card. The colours and paper are so pretty.
LIBERTY BODICE!!! I remember them!!
Patricia x

Fiona said...

My first visit to your blog - what a beautiful card - I went to Paris for my 1st Wedding Anniversary and again last year for my 30th! Your card is so evocative.

Aquarius said...

Oh dear - yes I well remember the liberty bodices!! Very pretty card you've made. Have a good weekend.

Lynn said...

Hello Jules, I like the green, pink and silver combination, and as ever, your card is really lovely. Now, I don't want to make you feel old, but I didn't have a liberty bodice but my mom did! And, yes, she said you certainly needed them on. On the very cold days she remembers ice being on the inside of the windows! Have a good Bank Holiday weekend. Lynn x

cotnob said...

A beautiful card Jules, such pretty papers. I enjoyed reading about your trip down memory lane, I don't remember having a liberty bodice but I do remember rubber buttons - not sure were from though!
Pauline
x

Claudia's kaartjes said...

Sweet card. Nice colours.
hugs
Claudia

http://knutselmeisjes.blogspot.be/

littlebee said...

I too remember liberty bodices Jules, but am a little too young to have worn them. . .just a little:)My lovely nan used to buy them to wear and like you say, had a roaring fire to sit by . . . lovely memories. Have a wonderful week end . . . . Sue x

Barb said...

Goodness Jules I feel old too now. Yes I remember them well.

Your card is lovely. What beautiful paper. Barbxx

KandA said...

This is so pretty and those butterflies are fabulous xx

Crafty Moone Cards said...

This is so gorgeous Jules. Have a lovely weekend. Sue x

Kathleen said...

Oh yes, I remember them well, never got the colds in those days, like we d today.
Very pretty card and love the design.

Kath x

Lynne K said...

Ooh, love this Jules, absolutely gorgeous! xx

Gibmiss said...

Memories ... Yes I remember them Jules...
Fabby card ... Love those Papers... Scrummy ...
Hugs Sylvie x

Brenda said...

Hi Jules, your anniversary card.is so beautiful! I love those beautiful blocks of paper, and those butterflies are s9 pretty embossed in silver. I guess it is silver. lol
I've never heard of the liberty bodices. Maybe we didn't wear them here in the US. I'd like to think that I'm not old enough to know them, but I know that is not the case! Yes, isn't it funny at the things that take our memory back?!! Its all good when that happens and how fun as well. Have a wonderful weekend Jules!! Hugs, Brenda

Di said...

Almost crying with laughter here Jules! I've been remiss in keeping up with blogs and had actually missed this post - so my liberty bodice comment was totally off the top of my head - not having seen this! Talk about memory lane. Fabulous card too!

Hugs

Di xx

Brawny x said...

Lovely card Jules. Very pretty design X. Ps bodices were before my time 😂 X