My photo
A very warm welcome to my teeny, tiny part of the huge world of blogging. This is where I share my passion for making hand made greeting cards. So - why "Always with a Heart"? Well this is for two reasons. Firstly, it is because every card I produce carries a heart on it somewhere. This can be big and bold or small and almost hidden - the fun sometimes is just trying to find it! Secondly it is because I put my heart into everything I produce. I hope that any visitors enjoy seeing what I post. If you drop by then please leave me a comment so that I know you called. It would be nice to know that you have found my heart in what I do.

Thursday 31 August 2017

HOMEMADE GELLI PLATE

Hi Everyone

Happy Thursday!

I hope your day has gone well.  The weather here has got brighter and brighter as the day has progressed and has produced a lovely afternoon/early evening.

All of my orders made their way to the Post Office this morning so I have been free to get cracking on the new wedding stationery samples I am hoping to take to the next couple of wedding fayres.

These are the colours I have chosen to work with . .. along with some kraft card that has a box all of its own.  I have been making stationery using kraft card for years and years now .. .. and those are still the invites that the youngsters head for.  Quite a "long lasting" fad that's for sure!


I also had a little experimental session and have tried making my own gelli-plate using instructions that I found on Pam Thornburn's blog (Waltzing Through Life).  Basically it is water, gelatin and glycerine.

Like Pam I have always fancied having a play with a gelli-plate but haven't wanted to invest in one in case I don't like the results I get.  

I did lots of research before going ahead and some bloggers have loved it so much they have since brought "proper ones" only to find they prefer their homemade version.  No-one has actually said how long they last though!

Pam recommended using an old Ferrero Rocher box to set and store the gelli-plate in (sadly my box was already empty and I didn't need to eat lots before I could proceed).

So here is the finished gelli-plate .. .. I love the feel of it .... and every time I walk past it I have to touch it LOL!!



I didn't line my box with cling film as Pam suggested, simply because I didn't want to risk having any crease marks on my plate .. .. but I managed to get it out of the box easy enough. I may use cling now that it is set though, or trim it down a little to make it easier for getting in and out of the box.

Well I will see how I go once I use it.  I have to leave it for 24 hours now.

Not a problem though.  I doubt my results will be anything any happy couples will want on their wedding stationery.

Have a lovely evening everyone.


11 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

How interesting. I can't decide whether to buy one or not. Perhaps 'homemade' is the way for me too! Jo x

cotnob said...

Love the colours you have chosen Jules, I'm sure your samples will be beautiful.
Your gelli-plate looks fabulous, I can't wait to see what you create.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Barb said...

Your gelli plate looks great July's. I look forward to hearing how you get on. I bet you have fun. Barbxx

Crafting Queen said...

Can't wait to see what you create with this.

Kathleen said...

Some very interesting colours Jules an well done on making your own jelly plate but to be honest I have no idea what they do or are used for. Have heard of them though, so not so stone aged.
Have a good weekend.

Kath x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A lovely mix of colours in your box Jules and I can't wait to see what you make with the homemade gelli plate. I certainly looks good to me.

Sue xx

Stamps and Paper said...

Oh this is interesting Jules lookng forward to seeing how it works

Anne

Aquarius said...

I look forward to seeing how you get on with your home made geli plate - I remember reading somewhere that this could be done. Pity you didn't need to buy a new box of chocolates to eat before you could start!!

Enny said...

Wow, your gelli-plate looks great ! I have a "real" one, and it's fun to work with. So far I've only used paints, but I want to try the Oxide Distress inks too. But it has to wait, because I'm going on holiday... :o) Lots of success with the Wedding Fayre and all the best ! Love, Enny

Brawny x said...

A great read Jules. A very clever idea. Am loving the colour palette. Hope you are well my dear xxx

Inkyfingers said...

Your gelli-plate looks amazing Jules, and I had no idea that you could make your own when I bought mine! I love the colours you have chosen for your next samples and they are lovely.