My photo
A very warm welcome to my teeny, tiny part of the huge world of blogging. This is where I share my passion for making hand made greeting cards. So - why "Always with a Heart"? Well this is for two reasons. Firstly, it is because every card I produce carries a heart on it somewhere. This can be big and bold or small and almost hidden - the fun sometimes is just trying to find it! Secondly it is because I put my heart into everything I produce. I hope that any visitors enjoy seeing what I post. If you drop by then please leave me a comment so that I know you called. It would be nice to know that you have found my heart in what I do.

Saturday 7 November 2020

BOOK FOLDING COMPLETE

Hi Everyone

I hope you have enjoyed your Saturday .. .. mine seems to have disappeared in the blink of an eye .. .. yet again, but I did finish my book folding this evening and the finished project looked like this:


 
by no means perfect .. .. .. but I am quite pleased with it for a first attempt.

I made my tree with the intention of taking it over to Fessiwigs Festive Frolics Challenge and then got drawn into the American voting and forgot to link it .. .. so I am doing that a bit late .. .. sorry Hazel.  The challenge for this fortnight is "anything but a card" .. .. but it has to be "festive" of course! 

Things I learnt along the way whilst making my tree:

1.  Folding the pages to begin with is very, very easy but as you work your way through the book it gets harder and harder, so don't  work too close to the spine (mistake number one).

2.  Pay special attention to forming sharp and uniform points at the top, otherwise your tree isn't going to join together properly when you reach the end.

3.  I heat embossed the edges of my tree using a white and silver glitter embossing powder.  Not a good idea as some of my pages warped with the heat. (mistake number two).  Perhaps a glitter spray would have been a better option.

4.  There are some Christmas tree examples on Pinterest where the tree has been folded into the centre of a book that is displayed open.  I think that might have been easier for a first play.

You can leave your tree to stand directly on a table or shelf, but I added an empty cotton reel to the bottom of mine

So that is me for today.  A few of you correctly guessed I was making a Christmas tree .. .. and there were some suggestions of a heart!  Mmmmm  ....  might have to look into that one sometime.

Take care everyone.  

Catch you again soon but in the meantime please stay safe.  

16 comments:

meg said...

Looks stunning Jules,completed in plenty time for Christmas

Aquarius said...

A lovely tree and beautifully decorated too. Good idea adding the cotton reel as a 'trunk'.

Stamps and Paper said...

Morning Jules..your book tree looks lovely..another dark and dismal morning in Somerset so I guess it’s a crafting day..have a good Sunday whatever you do

Anne

Doreen said...

A gorgeous tree Jules, you must have a lot of patience.
Take care
Doreen
xxx

Elaine Stark said...

A super project. Your tree looks very elegant. Thanks for sharing your small errors, they will be invaluable to others (that's me). I have not attempted this craft but like you one on my list to do. Elaine

Kath said...

Your tree is stunning Jules!
Kath x

cotnob said...

A super tree Jules, it looks fabulous - thank you for sharing your learning points.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Di said...

Wow Jules - this is absolutely beautiful! It looks perfect to me - and i found the hear easily as well :)

Hugs

Di xx

Carol L said...

I am SO impressed with this little tree crafted from a book! It looks gorgeous with those glittered stars and beads and it will make a perfect decoration for the holidays! For your first attempt, I'd say you did a marvelous job!

Carole said...

Wow! a super creation and absolutely great for your first attempt. Can't wait to see what you do next? I like the sparkle you have added and your trim, a truly fabulous item you should be proud to display. Hugs xx

cuilliesocks said...

What a stunning piece of work Jules, beautifully folder, and decorated, love it, Kate x

Lynne said...

This looks beautiful Jules and your cotton reel trunk is a stroke of genius x

JD/ Jill said...

This is absolutely adorable! What a great job you did with making this "book" tree!

Gibmiss said...

Hi Jules
This is stunning ...love it ...I have looked at it ...I have a Pinterest board .... but not tried it ...does it have to be a hard back book ....
Bet you are pleased with it ...
Hope your Mum is ok ...
Sylvie xx

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW, I love it!! What a brilliant first book folding make!!!! I think I might do this for our tree this year as the wee kitty might want to climb a real one!!! Ive been carried away with the American Election as well. Its made very interesting viewing and its a nice change from all things Covid. Hope alls well with you and yours, thanks for sharing with me over on Fezziwigs, Hazelxx

Sally H said...

Wow! It looks pretty perfect to me! Absolutely gorgeous! Lucky you seeing Jethro Tull - sounds amazing!