My photo
A very warm welcome to my teeny, tiny part of the huge world of blogging. This is where I share my passion for making hand made greeting cards. So - why "Always with a Heart"? Well this is for two reasons. Firstly, it is because every card I produce carries a heart on it somewhere. This can be big and bold or small and almost hidden - the fun sometimes is just trying to find it! Secondly it is because I put my heart into everything I produce. I hope that any visitors enjoy seeing what I post. If you drop by then please leave me a comment so that I know you called. It would be nice to know that you have found my heart in what I do.

Friday 8 May 2020

BEST OF BRITISH

Hi Everyone

I hope you have had a good day .. .. and have taken pride in celebrating the 75th anniversary of VE day in one way or another.

I made patriotic paper chains, flags and bunting and decorated the outside of our home .. .. and the inside of our bay window as my simple way of saying "thank you" to all of our war heros.

I am so grateful I didn't witness the war.  How they coped I can't imagine.  They have my utmost respect.

We have been in "lock-down" for a few weeks and I am missing not being able to spend time with my family so much .. .. .. how on earth would I cope if my family had gone off to war and I wouldn't see them for years and years .. .. .. if I was to ever see them again!!!

No mobile phones, or facetime/skype sessions then.  

Many, many years ago I can remember us visiting a tank museum when the boys were young.  I wasn't interested in the tanks at all but of course my hubby and the two lads were.  In fact at one point I think we lost the lads.  They were hiding inside a tank LOL!!

I spent my time in front of a huge glass fronted display cabinet that was full of memorabilia from the war years.  Letters were on show from men (boys) to their Wife or Mum, and from them to the their Son/Husband.  It was impossible not to put yourself in the position of the person sending and receiving those letters.  I cried and cried at each one I read and although I was upset I couldn't stop reading them because they made me feel grateful I wasn't living through those times.  

I feel certain I wouldn't have coped in their shoes that's for sure.

So today for me has been another day to be grateful, to be proud to be British and to make a patriotic birthday card:




This used:

Image:  Penny Black "4215K" On Guard
Sentiment:  Computer Generated using font "Ink Free"
Backing Papers:  Docrafts "Best of British" .. .. very old but still very loved
ProMarkers
Heart Punch
Corner Rounding Punch
Glossy Accents
My Trusty Sewing Machine

and that is me for today.

Hopefully I will be around tomorrow when Christmas needs to start making an appearance again.  

Take care everyone.

15 comments:

scrappymo! said...

This is fabulous, Jules. Love this image and sentiment. I am going to order it from my local store as they carry PB and can order in any particular set I want.
Will make these for my British relatives!

Liz said...

Fabulous patriotic card, Jules. I agree, it's hard to imagine what it was like to live through the war. It's hard enough with a couple of months in lockdown, we have a lot to be grateful for. xx

Carole said...

fab card Jules and very patriotic..sounds like you had fun decorating your house. I love the little punched hearts...I thought you had bought them till I read your items used! Clever idea! xx

meg said...

Fabulous card with wonderful papers and a great patriotic image

Aquarius said...

A really fun image - think I may well have some of that backing paper or very similar from way back

Crafting Queen said...

Love this card, it's wonderful!

Viv said...

Great card Jules! Love this fun image too. x

Stamps and Paper said...

What a great card Jules just love the little chicken standing next to the guard....your card would have been perfect for my hubby who's birthday it was yesterday...but we had a social distancing Cul-de-Sac party with all 1940's music it was great, hubby said one of his best birthdays

Anne

cotnob said...

A super card Jules. It always makes me cry when I watch things about what happened during the war. My Mum was in the Land Army and my Dad was a driver during the war - he was a farmer so he was kept in this country but he still spent a lot of time away from my Mum, they never talked about it and I always find that when you see the veterans and listen to them they are so modest - it makes me feel very humble.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Kath said...

A lovely card Jules.
Kath x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Such a wonderful card Jules. Your story of the letters in the cabinet reminded me of when my sister and I had to clear my Uncles house back in 2012. He had never married and still lived in the house where my grandparents lived since 1952. Among some of the things we found were letters sent to my grandmother from my other uncle who was killed during the war. These now live in a special box here with us.

Take care
Sue xx

MagsB said...

Oh Jules, what a beautiful and moving post. Yes, I was thinking yesterday of all those who were separated from their families in wartime. We only have to endure for a few weeks, but they had 6 years of uncertainty.

On a lighter note, your card is so bright and cheerful, the image is so much fun!

Take care and stay safe!

love Mags B x

KandA said...

Fabulous card Jules and how wonderfully British. I'm lucky to have some of my Dad's army papers along with his medals and also the locket my Mom had with his photo in... she was lucky that he did come home to her, albeit very badly injured xx

Kathleen said...

Well, where is Christopher Robin and Alice? Brilliant creation, great images and papers.

Kath x

Enny said...

Your card is gorgeous, and yes, we in Belgium are still grateful that so many British soldiers (and Australians, Canadians, Americans...) came to our rescue! And I'm also grateful, that I didn't live during that war (or the first WW). We have a hard time now, but with computer, skype, etc... it's bearable. Love, Enny